by Dr. Jeffrey Lant.
Author's program note. Money. You need it. Can't do without it. Sayyou're in business to get it. But I don't believe you... so I'm going toreveal the secret right here, right now...in unmistakably clear language, so simple a child could"get it"... It's the formula you've waited a lifetime to hear, not least becauseyou'll realize from the first word you read it's the God's honest truth. Yet you'll finda whole pocketful of "reasons" why you can't possibly do this... now...or ever.
Even so you'll continue to tell everyone who is daft enough to listen that you're working hard to make your business a success; you'll probably even manage toconvince yourself. But in your heart of hearts you'll know you were given thegreat secret to success... and just won't do it.
This article, so timely, so true, so right on the money requires a tunethat creates just the right atmosphere. I've chosen "Manana" with its cynicallyrics that summarize your approach to your "business".
"The faucet she is dripping and the fence she's falling down My pocket needs some money so I can't go into town My brother isn't working and my sister doesn't care The car she needs a motor so I can't go anywhere."
And then the famous refrain "Manana. Manana. Manana is soon enoughfor me." Go find this tune in any search engine. Dean Martin's version is excellent,but you can't beat the 1947 version by Miss Peggy Lee. She was after all the composer(along with Dave Barbour). It is pure acid... and since she's singing about you,you'll be sure to feel the bite.
"Never trust a man who isn't a millionaire by 30." HerbertHoover, the first millionaire to be President of the United States.
Let me tell you something about rich people, particularly self-made richpeople. They will evaluate you by how successful you are. Why? Not just becausethey are plutocratic snobs (though some certainly are) but because they know whatit takes to make money... and they know that if you're not rich (or well on theway) you probably don't have what it takes. Like it or not, fair or not, whether the worldshould be this way or not, none of this matters.To impress the wealthy you must be wealthybecause that indicates you're someone worth knowing, someone who knows the secret tomaking money whenever you like. If this depresses or disheartens you, GET OVERIT. And get down to doing the needful.
Look at your marketing documents. Could they make anyone jump up, grabthe phone and call you?
Right this minute you probably see your phone. It may be a land line; itmay be a cell phone. What kind of phone doesn't matter. But what DOES matter is thatit's right in front of you... and it isn't ringing off the hook. That's the problemwe're going to do something about.
There will always be money... money is the easiest thing in the world toget...If...
Consider this: when all the air is toxic; when all the water ispolluted... when one animal species after another is wiped out and gone forever, there will still beplenty of money. That's because money is manmade. We can create as much as we want. Thequestion, therefore, is do you know how to get more, far, far more than your share?The answer is to be found in your current ads, brochures, websites, in any marketingcommunications at all.
Have you asked your customer to pick up the phone and call you now... andhave you made this invitation right at the top of your document, as sharply, asclearly, as motivating as possible?
Chances are you probably haven't, because (if truth be told) you don'trun this kind of client-centered business... and don't want to... because this means workand work isn't what you had in mind:
"The window she is broken and the rain is comin' in If someone doesn't fix it I'll be soaking to my skin But if we wait a day or two the rain may go away And we don't need a window on such a lovely day."
By now, you may be writhing, seething with indignation and anger. You arethinking... you are saying out loud, "I am not the wastrel Dr. Lant says. He'sgot me all wrong. I know the importance of work to ensure success. I know it... and I'll doit. Just tell me precisely what to do, and I'll do it... so help me!"
Very well. You asked for it, and I shall oblige.
1) Gather every marketing document. What I am telling you will alterevery one.
2) Look at how you start the copy for each document. Is there anIMMEDIATE call to action? In other words, have you opened with the most important thing,the thing that gets your reader to CALL YOU NOW?
3) Does your opening look like this?
Call now for your FREE CONSULTATION. I am standing by to help youright now 24/7/365.
Pick up the phone RIGHT NOW and find out how you can profit onlineSTARTING TODAY.
Ask for me (your name). I am ready to talk to you NOW.
(Include your complete phone number with country code and area code.Remember, you want an international clientele and this means making it easy for thesepeople to connect with you.)
Now the hard part. Living it!
Having made the call to action, will you be ready when the customerresponds?
1) Will you take the call, on the very first ring, night and day, regularweek-day or week-end or holiday? Or will you kill the entire process by forcing the customerto leave a message, which you'll respond to "as soon as it's convenient forme"?
2) If you are forced by circumstances to make the customer leave amessage, will you return the call within the hour, thereby indicating how client-centeredand efficient you are? Or will you offend the customer and destroy the chance for a remunerativerelationship by delaying your response for spurious""reasons"?
3) Will you send all necessary materials to the customer at once,preferably by e-mail, always asking for customer receipt confirmation? Or will you make thatall important customer wait... wait.... your chance for a sale wilting?
4) Will you ask for the sale as soon as possible, making sure the"ask" is not forced, not rushed, not premature but made at precisely the right time? Or willyou make the customer tell you he wants to proceed, thereby saving you the bother ---but probably costing you the sale?
5) And finally, will you follow up at once? Not a week or two later?Follow up is crucial to closing deals and making more. And you must do it at once... notmanana.
You'll SAY you'll do this, all of it, but who are you trying to kid?Manana has been good enough for you your entire life...
"My mother's always working, she's working very hard But every time she looks for me I'm sleeping in the yard My mother thinks I'm lazy and maybe she is right I'll go to work manana but I gotta sleep tonight."
Oh, yes, manana has been good enough for you!
About the Author
Harvard-educated Dr. Jeffrey Lant is CEO of Worldprofit, Inc., providing a wide range of online services for small and-home based businesses. Services include home business training, affiliate marketing training, earn-at-home programs, traffic tools, advertising, webcasting, hosting, design, WordPress Blogs and more. Find out why Worldprofit is considered the # 1 online Home Business Training program by getting a free Associate Membership today. Republished with author's permission by Les Dunn